I Need Help With ...
Always feel free to contact Daryl Brereton 203.432.8830 or Chris Kilbourne 203.432.8814 with your technology-related questions or issues. We will answer your question or resolve your issue if it is within our purview. If we are busy helping one of your colleagues, we will ask you to submit a ServiceNow ticket (and we would like you to submit ServiceNow tickets in any case - see below). For matters outside of our control, we will refer you to the ITS Help Desk or appropriate resource. You can expedite the support process by using the information below, which shows you who is best suited to help with different types of issues and requests.
- Why ServiceNow?
- YSD Computer/Hardware Issues
- Student Personal Computer Support
- University Systems & Software Issues
- Specialized Systems & Software
- After Hours Emergency Support - YALE SYSTEMS
- After Hours Emergency Support - YSD SYSTEMS & EQUIPMENT
- Communications Links
- Wireless Setup
- Software and Hardware Links
Information Technology Resources
We are introducing ServiceNow as the preferred method of initiating and tracking requests for IT support at YSD. To request help, simply click on the "Request Tech Support" button at right. You will be taken to short form where you will be asked for:
- A short a description of your issue or request
- A more detailed description (although you can simply repeat the short description)
- Your contact number, and
- The impact of the issue (individual, multiple individuals, multiple groups, university wide)
After submitting the form, you will receive an email with a link to your Incident ticket in ServiceNow. That link allows you to track the status of your issue or request (e.g., assigned, scheduled work, resolved, etc.), and it enables you to update your incident with additional information.
Download an illustrated guide to using ServiceNow
With our limited IT resources, the ServiceNow system allows us to track and prioritize support requests (ensuring none "fall off the radar"), identify problem software and hardware, and plan for future support needs. So, even if we have resolved your issue, we ask that you fill out a ServiceNow ticket so that we can keep track of the nature and volume of support being provided.
Remember, you should always feel free to contact Daryl Brereton 203.432.8830 or Chris Kilbourne 203.432.8814 with your technology-related questions or issues. We will answer your question or solve your issue if it is within our purview, otherwise we will direct you to the appropriate resource.
You can expedite your support requests by starting with the right resource. The sections below outline when it is best to contact Daryl or Chris in Digital Technology, and when it makes more sense to contact the ITS Help Desk or other resource.
Is there a problem with your YSD computer, such as a bad keyboard, noisy fan, broken mouse, or it doesn't turn on? Is your printer broken? Is there other YSD-specific technology that needs attention? Computer support is available to all YSD faculty, staff, and students by filling out a ServiceNow request (click the button at right). If it is an urgent matter, please contact Daryl Brereton: 203.432.8830, firstname.lastname@example.org, Monday - Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. If Daryl is unavailable, contact Chris Kilbourne: 203.432.8814, email@example.com.
Daryl or Chris are also first-line support for:
- Printer issues
- Audio/Visual equipment requests
- Other YSD-owned hadware issues
Even if you contacted Daryl or Chris directly, please fill out a ServiceNow request so that your issue gets put in their work queue, and so they can manage and track support requests.
YSD students are eligible for computer support from the Student Technology Collaborative (STC).
To consult with a Student Tech about a technology issue, visit the Technology Troubleshooting Office on the Lower Level of Bass Library, or call the TTO at 203.432.5242
STC provides general support for:
- Computers (Desktop and notebook)
- External Hard Drives and Storage Devices
- Mac OS X
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Windows (all versions)
- Printers and scanners
- Wireless Routers
- Digital Cameras
- Digital Music Players (e.g. iPod, Zune)
- Linux operating systems
- Network-capable gaming consoles
- PDAs and Smartphones (e.g. Blackberry, iPhone)
- Televisions or cable
- VHS or DVD players
- Digital Video Recorders (e.g. Tivo), AppleTV
- Microwaves, radios, or other household appliances
Start your inquiry with the ITS Help Desk for questions or issues with:
- Common software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, or Adobe Acrobat
- NetID login
- Network/internet access
- Password changes
- Printer access
- Virus protection
The ITS Help Desk is available 24/7 and can be reached at:
The Help Desk will place your request in our online work order tracking system (ServiceNow). You will receive an email with an Incident Number, and a followup when the incident is resolved. This process helps us collect information on continuing computer/IT problems that can often be resolved on a wide scale.
YSD uses specialized systems, each with its own support structures. Please refer to the list below for details. If something is missing from the list please contact Daryl Brereton or Chris Kilbourne.
Tier 1 Coverage
|Ashomen -- production budgeting tool||Erich Bolton||Business Day as available|
|Autocad license Services||Daryl Brereton||Business Day as available|
|ClassesV2 web service||ClassesV2 web firstname.lastname@example.org||Business Day as available|
|Classroom media equipment||Daryl Brereton||Business Day as available|
|Copy machine repair||Request Tech Support||Business Day as available|
|Focus||Shainn Reaves||Business Day as available|
|Haus||Request Tech Support||Business Day as available|
|Loaner laptop requests||Daryl Brereton||Business Day as available|
|Spacebook / EMS||Spacebook / EMS||Request Tech Support||Business Day as available|
|Student Labor assignments||Nikki Mills||Business Day as available|
Post to online group
or speak with local super users (Janna Ellis, Laura Kirk)
|Business Day as available|
|Vectorworks license service||Daryl Brereton|
|VPN off-campus access||VPN off campus access||ITS HelpDesk||Business Day as available|
|Yale NetID password||Yale NetID Password||ITS HelpDesk|
|YSD file server(G: and X: drives)||Request Tech Support||Business Day as available|
|YSD SharePoint server||Request Tech Support||Business Day as available|
|YSD student list-serve (Mailman)||email@example.com||Business Day as available|
|YSD PaperCut Printing||PaperCut||ITS HelpDesk||Business Day as available|
|YSDInfo website||Chris Kilbourne||Business Day as available|
The ITS Help Desk is now open 24 hours, 7 days a week. For assistance, please call 203-432-9000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The answers to many technology-related qyestions and issues can also be found in How-To articles on the ITS website.
To report an emergency YSD hardware issue, please call 860-598-0742. This will allow you to leave a message and the on-call YSD staff will be paged. Please leave your name, phone number, and the nature of the emergency.
- Yale Email Help -- request new alias, set forwarding, vacation auto response
- Yale NetID Help -- check your NetID, reset password
- YSD Student Mailing List -- communication with current students and alumni
- YALE VPN -- access resources from off campus
- Secure Computing -- protecting your data, devices, and privacy
- IT Services -- teleconferencing, video conferencing, and other resources at Yale
- Box @ Yale -- 50Gb of Personal Storage
- Yale Software Library -- Software made available by Yale
- Yale Software Store -- Windows, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Cloud
- Microsoft office for Personal Use -- Office for your home computer for only $9.95
- GovConnection -- Hardware and Software at discounted prices
- Buying Software -- General software purchasing questions
- Apple Store -- educational pricing for Apple products